2009년 10월 6일 화요일

374 words


I swear I don’t mean to do this, but I find myself with good intention curiously seeking out new things within the schedule I possess now, which yields a small amount of legitimate free time, and probably spending too much money. I’ll be just fine but these restaurants I, technically, if two trips merit a technicality, now frequent, are always priced about 10 or 13 dollars a meal. And I know for a fact that Hugh and Kathryn toured me thoroughly through the area and highlighted many spots that charge only 5 or 6 dollars for a meal. I’m polite, for the most part, but if I try a sample at Costco and I really don’t like the food or have any intention of buying it I don’t stick around to hear the, forced, sales pitch from the agitated 43-year-old woman wearing both a hairnet and an obvious scowl of occupational disdain. I thank them and move on. My dear sister Lindsay, then, would be quite an opposite in this regard. I credit my mother for raising us in generosity, which presents many more opportunities to live happier lives than the alternative.

Tell me then how I’ve forgotten this appropriate coldness and, once I step into an establishment, I shed all defenses and force myself to order something – even when the menu starts at 10,000 won, and I was looking to spend half of that. There isn’t anything particularly daunting about these places, and tonight it was the same as before when I had my first showcasing of my deteriorating shell for strict sternness against rhetorical situations involving food and the exchange of my money for it. I’ve become polite, which shouldn’t be in my nature at all for an American and I'm likely spooking the natives. But I suppose this is the price I must pay in a new culture I don’t have experience with, where a ‘no thanks’ after entering a restaurant or store may be a direct affront to them, their family, the Republic of Korea, and strangely the members of the 1989 Denver Broncos.

But the food was the truth, and tasted exactly like chicken, because it was chicken. They also included a coke. 13,000 won was a fair trade.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기