Ok I'm going to move very quickly with this one. I've been doing a lot of reading recently, by Gene Wolfe who is a VERY good author, and so my own pride with my writing is temporarily disabled out of fugacious shame of my own abilities to write. It too shall pass though.
On New Year's Day I took a bus at 2:10 to Yeosu. Yeosu is in the same direction that Boseong is, but an hour and a half more east. It lies in a bit of a gulf, surrounded by islands and a clear view deep into the waters that lead into Japan. As you'll hear about I once received a job offer here, and I turned it down to come to Mokpo. Wikipedia and general Internet word-of-mouth should have done a better job at describing the city, because it is an amazing place to see. The city is spread into different sections, with each having its own seclusion by way of mountains or hills that separate and hide the other portions. These all are connected by roads, but along these roads there are remnants of an older Korea, with older housing and older roads. I was able to navigate this divide by walking around, a lot, in Yeosu. Well worth it though.
I got there at 5:30 on Friday, and I was able to direct a taxi to a downtown portion of the city. I ate dinner and found a Korean girl to attempt a conversation with for an hour or so. After we finished I went to the obvious hotel district (they had one called "Ben Hur" motel; awesome) and found a room for 40,000 won and stayed the night. I woke up the next day, and after walking around the city and admiring it all (Yeosu receives a year-round pleasant climate because of its location) I headed for the water. I was even able to shed my coat, which lately had always been a foolish idea. This is about the time when all of this happened. Enjoy. :D
On the 14th and 15th of this month I don't teach, and I'm planning to take another trip. But I don't know where yet. I'm thinking of heading somewhere to the northeast, into the mountains. I've researched about the area and I have a lot of interest in traveling there. And I think I'll do just that. Enjoy, and I'll be sure to update this blog as or as not as consistently as I've been inclined to do.
Peace to you,
Anthony
hahaaha! i LOVED your videos! thats so cool to see what you see (as sometimes pictures dont even do it justice) in that area. i was laughing at the cow you came across (so it just lives on the island!? are you sure you werent trespassing on someones property?)...what a random thing to see! lol! and that fire cracked me up! maybe they dont have firefighters in korea? i dunno...
답글삭제sweet picture of that lady bending over cleaning oysters. i would have taken a picture too! lol, it must run in the family.
love you! awesome post. i need to blog more!